All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

A snow white pillow for my big fat head...

I've been a big supporter for natural sleep products for a little while now, so it's no surprise I looked for something natural when it came time to find a new pillow. I'd been buying feather or synthetic fill pillows from places like Target for a while, and they've felt almost disposable--the synthetic ones clump up, and the feather/down pillows leak, poking me in the face while I sleep. It was time to step up my game and invest in something better.

I was hanging out with my friend and fellow designer on New Year's Day and we popped into HD Buttercup's new bedding/mattress shop in Hayes Valley. I saw they had a collection of great all-natural latex mattresses and also a collection of wool, latex, and cotton-filled pillows. I went back on my own to try out all the pillows and ended up buying a shredded latex and wool pillow.

 
 
 
I've been sleeping on it over the past week and it's amazing--the shredded latex (naturally tapped from sustainable rubber trees) feels so light and springy, but all together it has heft and gives a lot of support. Contained in natural wool cover, my head never gets too hot or cold during the night. Best of all, I could customize the feel by taking out some of the latex stuffing. I took out about four handfuls of the stuff, which is light as air but looks like curds or cottage cheese.
 
 
It's the most I've ever spent on a pillow, but it's definitely worth it!

No comments: