All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

You...doing that thing you do!

Last week my friend (and peer) Jolene asked me how I created the faux inlay on the Ikea Malm drawers. I figured some of you out there might want to know too, so I decided to write about the process this week.

Let's begin!

Step 1:
I use AutoCAD all the time to create furniture plans and construction documents, as well as for general space planning. So I figured it was the best way for me to draw a precise template for the inaly. Of course, everyone works differently. You could also simply draw it out on paper or cardstock using a ruler and a some circle templates, if that's easier for you.


Step 2:
If you do choose to use a computer program, you can tile your template so it will print over several pages. This means you can add cut/crop marks to multiple pages and then cut and tape them together into something larger--this is an easy way to print out something big using only regular pieces of paper at home. As you can see below, I was able to take this large drawer template (it was 31.5" wide) and print it onto five standard Letter-sized pages:


Step 3:
After taping the pages together to form a template, use an X-Acto knife or a utility knife (or even scissors or a razor blade if your template is simple enough) to cut it out.


As you can see here, I used an additional circle template to help me cut out the curved parts.


Step 4:
Then I rolled out some dark wood-patterned Contact paper ($4-6 a roll, depending on where you live) and taped my paper template on top. The back side of the Contact paper has these handy grid lines that really make it easy to draw/cut straight lines.


Then I traced my pattern onto the Contact paper and cut it out with my X-Acto knife.


Step 5:
I cleaned the surface of the Malm drawers with rubbing alcohol and then peeled off the backing of the Contact paper "inlay." Slowly, I stuck it on, smoothing out any bubbles that appeared.

Shazam! Customized Ikea furniture!


This week marks a change in the direction of my Retrograde blog. Y'see, last week I also had the chance to talk to another friend, the original co-founder of Retrograde, who is still pursuing the idea of transforming peoples' lives through health and bodywork. Over some happy hour drinks, she encouraged me to make the blog to more how-to and hands-on.

"That way you can reach even more of the young, stylish, crafty people you seem to be targeting," she said.

And later she added, "Then you can get a book deal, fool!"

Sounds like a plan.

Alright, Chronicle Books, I'm ready for ya.

5 comments:

Sugar said...

Love this project. Can I post a photo of the finished dresser and link to the how to post on my blog?? Thanks!!!

Emily A. Clark said...

Love the detailing. Thanks for sharing this project.

Lisa H. @ The Everyday Celiac said...

I assumed the details were added by stenciling or some intesive hand painting--never would have guessed it was contact paper. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Sorry dude, but this is disgusting...

Jim said...

Not disgusting at all. This is a great way to turn something that's bland into a piece with personality.