All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cane!..Sugar!..Cane!

Lately I've found myself hooked on a great graphic pattern--cane.

You've seen it before. In print, it looks kind of criss-crossy, like it wants to be a flag or a symbol or something. It's a great graphic representation of woven cane seating, which is itself pretty timeless. In a stroke of meta-genius or just plain ol' dumb luck, I recently scored a floor pillow covered in a cane-print fabric for $5. That particular client totally got a deal, in addition to the vintage wicker chair I sold her and a vintage rattan accent chair we found together at a thirft store--I'm on a natural furniture spree! (I'll post photos when the place is done.)

Anyhow, I've seen this pattern creep up a lot this summer, in pottery, lamps, and even in printed canvas wallets at Noo Works on Valencia.

Check out a few other cane pieces I've spied:



In the immortal words of Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, "And if you get hooked baby, it's nobody else's fault!"

1 comment:

Sandra B. said...

You know I haven't given much thought lately to cane patterns as a design element, but this made me think again! Thanks for the suggestion!