All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Stars Go Blue





This recent article in the LA Times about design trends that are "over" reminded me how fickle the industry can be. One day (or year) you're in, and the next you're out. It's kind of why I stopped following fashion so long ago. When it comes to things like clothing and the home, I begun to stick with that French/European idea of getting well-made basics and sticking to things you personally love and complement your body (or the architecture of your home.)

Now I know it often takes a designer or decorator to get into peoples' heads and find things/colors/whatever that resonate with them. It's too easy to just say, "be true to yourself" or "get what you love" when you don't always know how that translates into furnishings and your surroundings. God knows that if I wore what I loved all the time, I'd be a walking nightmare of plaid, stripes, houndstooth, and tweed. (Hmmm, kind of sounds like when I was a kid and started dressing myself.)

This retrograde period is hitting me hard. Schoolwork, a bad cold, and not enough "me" time have taken their toll on this new endeavor. So it's harder to get momentum going to post more regularly (is anyone out there?) But I'm still encouraging people to clean their homes and get organized, so when Mercury goes direct again, you'll feel that much better about their homes. Amy H.'s old studio (befores and afters above) is always a good example. One week and $200 later, this crazy girl slept soundly for the first time in a while.


No comments: