All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

We Don't Need Another Hero




Okay, so we need another interior design site like a gunshot to the head, and I can't guarantee that I'll be any different or special in any way. With an opening sentence like that, let me assure you that my bubbling personality will really help this blog take off.

Seriously, all I can offer is my own take on design and the way it impacts my life and the lives of my friends. Hopefully you're a like-minded person who can relate, or even open my eyes to new ways of thinking. How's that for interactive media--I could actually learn something from this blog by hearing from you, and not the other way around.

Why do I want to do this? Why do I want to become involved with interior design and architecture? I can assure you it's not because of the glut of home improvement shows and shelter magazines out there. Yes, I'm a fame wh*re and have tried my hand at acting. Yes, I actually watch those home improvement shows and read those shelter magazines. But you've got to try and make a living out of something you love, right? After 10 years of "just getting by" and making a good paycheck, I knew I could either keep doing the same thing and keep feeling miserable or I could actually try to make a break and switch careers.

It's funny, 'cause when I used to advise college art and design students I used to tell them over and over again that our generation was expected to have several careers over a lifetime. Now I'm finally following through on that lil' lecture. I've always loved seeing how other people live and carve out their own spaces. Other than anthropology (trust me, I tried it when I was 18) this is what I decided to do.

So just to give you fair warning, with each post I'll ramble on like this. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. But I have this feeling that most bloggers out there started with similar notions. They just had so many ideas that they wanted to share. Regardless of whether people were going to actively read their posts or whether their words were just going out into the ether, they had this need to get it out in writing. Aw heck, maybe it's just the gin talking, but that's how I feel.

I'm not a multi-contributor machine like Apartment Therapy, so I'll just post ideas and observations as I see them, not every two minutes, six days a week. Heck, I've got schoolwork to do and a house to maintain--and after 11 years of not being a student, it's a hard adjustment. So check back whenever. I'll be around.

I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: