All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

But you know that I'll forgive you just this once, twice, forever...


I know. I've been bad...about this blog, that is. When I started this nearly a year ago I thought I'd have time to update it once a week. Or at least once a month. Heck, my cat, Mister Chino, does a better job with his monthly blog postings on our family website.

But then school really got into gear. I started my Interior Design program at FIDM in San Francisco last October and after my first term I thought I was doing alright, learning the basics of drafting, materials, presentation techniques, etc. But then things ramped up and I had to put all those skills to use in my projects (along with a few old tricks--the best part of being a "mature" student!)

Before I knew it, I was designing an entire beach house, creating a retail space, remodeling a San Francisco Victorian home, interning for a huge retailer, and finally designing a hotel. A hotel! (Some materials and concept images are shown above.)

So that's what I've been doing over the past year. Along the way I read plenty of other blogs and I wondered how they had the discipline to post every month, week, or even every day. As each month slipped by, I felt worse and worse about not keeping this site up. But with my program ending this week I have no excuses...at least until I get a job.

And until then, I'm going to use this site to showcase some of my student work as well as my thoughts about this ever changing industry. I've interviewed several interesting designers over the past year (another perk of being a student--no shame in asking for interviews!) and have gotten so many persectives. Each one has shaped the way I look at things, and I'd like to share those experiences too.

Here I am again. I feel like Rhoda Morgenstern returning to New York: "I'm back--this is your last chance!"

No comments: