All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Monday, February 6, 2012

The last "p"...stands for "property"

So while my own home is a total construction zone, I'm getting close to wrapping up three Retrograde projects and showing you all some photos. I'm always interested in how people find me and how we end up working together.

I always give a prospective client a "freebie"--one tip or piece of advice they can take or leave. It gives them a sense of my aesthetic and how I envision their place. A good rule of thumb for anyone looking to work with a designer (whether it's a friend or total stranger) is to be honest about whether you'll work well together. You have to trust this designer (whether or not s/he is a friend or a friend of a friend) with your home. So if you're a French Country kinda gal and this designer is pushing hardcore modernism on you, it probably isn't going to be a good match.

Of course, any good designer will work with you and help you develop and hone your own style based on what you like. But they'll show you things you might not have considered yourself.

So if you like traditional French styles like this Louis XVI chair:


Then they might encourage you to try a contemporary version like the Louis Ghost Chair by Kartell:


OR they might try to split the difference with some modern upholstery like this:


Either way, they should be respectful of your opinion. Like I always say, "at the end of the day, you have to live there. Not me." It's your home and your property, so take pride in that.

Speaking of property, this song has been stuck in my head for weeks thanks to satellite radio!


Naughty By Nature discusses and performs "O.P.P."

No comments: