All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Smells like teen spirit...

I know it's December and it's getting cold out there, but with a big cat and a partner who likes to crank up the heat, my home can get pretty dusty and dry any time of the year. So what do I do? I try to open up the windows and doors to air the place out every week.

I remember when I was staying with my aunt and I noticed that her family kept most windows every so slightly cracked open during the days, even in the winter. I used to wonder why it was always so cold in there during the day, but now that I'm in a never-ending battle against dust and mold, I can understand why she did it. Before we moved in together, my partner used to live in a studio apartment and kept his heater cranked up in the winter, letting the windows get all steamy. One day I noticed something on the wall next to his bed. Pushing the bed aside, we discovered all the condensation on the walls and windows allowed a huge patch of mold to grow on the wall!

Ewwww!

So opening up windows while you clean is a nice, natural way to air out a room. But what do you do when it's too cold outside and things are starting to smell a little stale in your house? (I know there are some readers in the midwest and east cost!)
  • Try vacuuming with a HEPA filter to trap all those allergens that are making you sneeze (cranking up the heaters can dry up your skin creating even more dust)
  • Wash your bedding, sofa/TV throws, and towels often, using a naturally scented detergent (Trader Joe's and Method use essential oils)
  • I'm not a big fan of air purifiers, but if you have to use them, go for it--science wins!
  • Fresh cut flowers are another natural way to scent a room (unless you're allergic like me--stargazer lilies are my kryptonite)
  • Instead of heavily scented candles, invest in a nice room spray like something from Diptyque or Mrs. Meyers.

Seriously, I've become a convert to these sprays--they beat the heck out of those cans of Lysol, Glade or Wizard from my childhood days. At my office we use Diptyque's fig scented spray and it (ahem) really works.

Last time one of my colleagues went, they also picked up a ton of samples, which are also used in their line of personal scents--I ended up liking the light citrus scent of Oyedo so much, I started wearing it on occasion.

Hey, it's better than Axe, and it's considerably cheaper than what I normally wear. All good stuff, and good for holiday gift giving!

No comments: