All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

All original work © Jason W. Wong. Please ask for permission to reproduce any work.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

What child is this?

I took last week off for Thanksgiving and the short work week. It's been nice lounging around the house, even though we're still under construction and covered in plastic. This year I was thankful for my health and for spending the holiday with friends and loved ones.

After hearing about this Black Friday story, I was glad we didn't do any shopping whatsoever after Thanksgiving:



Alson on Friday, we saw a news story about the Occupy movement marching along downtown San Francisco, which sparked a lively conversation at home. My partner and I talked about how the large retailers are fueling this frenzy to consume-consume-consume, at the expense (and peril) of the 99%. It made me wonder: Why not buy less this year? Why not give experiences instead of material things (which often end up cluttering our homes anyway)? Why not make something instead? (I actually baked some banana bread that night in protest.)

I know it sounds a little hypocritical coming from me, since part of my job is to get people to furnish and decorate their homes. And at Ye Olde Dayjobbe I clearly serve the 1% targeted by the Occupy movement. But this time of the year always makes me reflect: What did we accomplish this year? What was it all for?

Since it's hard to escape the holiday buying frenzy, I tried to support Small Business Saturday yesterday instead. Some of my local neighborhood shops include:
  • Whatever (books and comic books)
  • Books Inc. (a Bay Area chain of bookstores)
  • A&G Merch (home furnishings and accessories)
  • Aldea (home furnishings and accessories--great stockists of Dwell Studio products)
  • Hand Job (unisex day spa, offering reflexology for tired, aching feet)
  • Under One Roof (HIV/AIDS charity shop where I get all my holiday cards)
What are some of your favorite neighborhood shops? Please share!

1 comment:

Jim said...

Books Inc. is great, but also consider Bird & Beckett books, in Glen Park. A great selection of old and new, plus the owner is super nice and a loyal supporter of local writers.